Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Visit With My Grandmother



I'm a few days late in posting this but I have not been feeling the greatest in the last few days. Anyway, the visit I had with my granmother the other day did shed some light on a few questions I had on some of the information I have previously found. Mainly, why both my great grandfather and his brother were married to what looked like the same woman. Come to find out both men were married to two different woman but with the exact same first and maiden names, but not from the same family. It was one big puzzle that I was glad to find out the truth.


Keeping information organized is very important to anyone's research. Currently, the way I am keeping mine is by taking each member of the family (right now primarily my direct line) and putting them on index cards with info on who they married and a list of their children, then I work on that branch of the family and go back as far as I can. Sometimes I work on several different members at one time, then I put them onto a rough draft in my word processing program in the proper spot with info on the web site where I got the information. This seems to work the best for me but their are many different ways that others do it as well. It is also important to store the information you have as you go, so as a precaution I usually store the info onto a SD card and I have also sent the information to my mother's computer and my sister's for them to keep and store too in case something were to happen to my computer.


My grandmother seemed to be very interested in the information I had printed out for her so far. I asked her to take time to look it over and make any corrections she thought it needed as well as to write down any information about the people she knew growing up so I could easily update the infomation later. Overall I had a great visit with her on Monday as well as my nephew who walked his dog down to vist with us while I was there. He is very much into history and reading a I hope that one day he will appreciate the information.


On the next blog: I'll discuss more about how I found my information and the importance of posting to family message boards.

Please post comments: If you have any advice or suggestions on where to find good geneological information please post a comment on this blog. Also, if you find any of my geneology information matches anything you might have in your geneology research please don't hesistate to comment and ask for any information I might be able to help you with. Thank you.

No comments: